Monday, January 19, 2009

The weird coincidences of my life!

First off I uploaded pictures on facebook as of right now there are two albums!

ok so first off MOM AND JODI READ THIS!!! THIS IS AMAZING!

GUESS WHO I RAN INTO AT CHURCH ON SUNDAY MORNING!!!!!

THE ONLY GREEK PEOPLE WE HAVE EVER KNOWN HAPPEN TO BE AT THE RANDOM CHURCH IN DOWNTOWN ATHENS THAT OUR NEW DIRECTORS FOR HUG GO TOO!!!!

THE GIRL THAT CAME TO LIPSCOMB FOR A YEAR AND WAS FRIENDS WITH YOU JODI!!! AND HER MOM CAME AND VISITED ONCE OR TWICE!!! OH I CAN'T REMEMBER HER NAME! BUT ANYWAYS! SO AT THE BEGINNING OF CHURCH I SAW THE MOM AND I THOUGHT THAT SHE LOOKED REALLY FAMILIAR BUT I WAS JUST LIKE THERE IS NO WAY THAT THAT IS HER CAUSE I HAD NO IDEA WHAT PART OF GREECE SHE WAS FROM! AND IT WAS SO LONG AGO. BUT DURING CHURCH HER HUSBAND GOT UP AND TALKED ABOUT HOW THEIR DAUGHTER HAD FOUND A MAN AND HE WAS GREEK AND HIS FATHER WAS THERE AT CHURCH TODAY. SO AFTER CHURCH I WENT UP TO HER AND WAS LIKE HI DO YOU BY CHANCE HAVE A DAUGHTER? AND SHE SAID YES! AND I SAID DID SHE BE CHANCE GO TO LIPSCOMB HIGH SCHOOL FOR YEAR AND SHE SAID YES!!! AND I SAID OH MY GOODNESS MY SISTER WAS REALLY GOOD FRIENDS WITH HER AT LIPSCOMB AND I KNOW HER TOO!! AND I DONT THINK SHE RECOGNIZED THE NAME BUT I KNOW SHE WOULD REMEMBER YOU IF SHE SAW A PICTURE OF YOU JODI AND MOM!! HOW AWESOME IS THAT! AND SHE IS COMING TO THE ARTEMIS TO TEACH US HOW TO COOK THIS WEEK!!! OH MY GOODNESS I STILL CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT HAPPENED!

ok for the next weird coincidence...(this happened on Monday today for me)

there is this guy here named cabot. we have gotten to know each other well and he is just an all around great funny guy. and he has a twin that is going to florence this semester. anyways. so this morning i got dressed and decided to wear the holland shirt you gave me jodi with a sweater over it. and then I walk downstairs for breakfast and chapel, and during chapel I looked a cabot and noticed we had the same color shirt on. But then after chapel Cabot came up to me and was like uh Calle...we have the same shirt on! and Glory be we did! how weird that we 1. Both have this shirt cause it is from urban outfitters which is a store that is not in ethier of our hometowns. 2. that we both brought it to Greece
and 3. that we both wore it this morning!

anways more about yesterday!

church was pretty amazing. We had three languages going on because there were obviously Greeks there, and us Americans. But also there were Russians there too! So we sang in three different languages. There were some songs that we all knew and all sang in a different language. At one point we got to sing some Americans songs. one of the songs we sang was pierce my ear. Which i have never been a fan of because we sang it all the time in chapel at Lipscomb. but for some reason it was absolutely beautiful. And while we were singing the preacher(who spoke english) translated it into greek. Which was beautiful. There is just something moving about hearing the language that the Gospels were written in. I got chills. The church was small, but so close. You could tell they really were a community. It was beautiful.

After church we walked to another part of Athens, and shopped for glasses. and then we went to this little restuarant and I had my first gyros! It was deliciouis!! Then we walked around this part called the placa and shopped. I didn't buy anything though! mom you should be proud! and then we walked to the modern day market place! and saw the Ancient Agora! which is the market place dating back to Paul! It was magnificent. You could still see the walk ways and where the vendors set up their shops! After that we were going to make our way up to the Acropolis! which is the center of Athens and was the Fortress type thing back then. It also is where the Parthenon is! So we hiked up to the top, except when we got there we found out that it was closed. It had closed minutes before. So we walked a little ways back down and climbed to the top of Mars Hill!!! Which is where Paul preached his moving sermon to the city of Athens. and where the Aeropagus met for many years, which is like the modern day court. It was beautiful!! We sat and Tim the director of Harding in Greece (HUG), talked to us about the history of it all and then we read Paul's message that he preached here! AND then we sang. and let me tell you that we were not the only ones up there. There were a ton of Greeks and I even think there were a group from Egypt up there. It was glorious. There was a Greek couple that came and sat next to us and actually video taped us singing. Afterwards me and some people went up and talked to them and found out where they were from. They did speak some english. They thoguht we were all musicians, because they could not believe that we could sing so well and not be musicians. They were both musicians, she played the piano and he played the guitar. Mrs. Rebecca(Tim's wife) invited them to come play on the baby grand that we have here at the Artemis. So I think they are going to come here next sunday. And can I just say that they were both absolutely beautiful!! Man Greeks bread well!! haha! AFter that we walked up this other hill and could see the Parthenon from there. It was breath taking. I still can not believe I am here. I have seen with my own eyes the places that Paul visited, that people worshipped their Greek gods. I have walked where Paul walked. GLORY BE!

AFter that we just went back to the Artemis.

I have heard that the fighting has stopped in Isreal. So I am praying that our Israel trip might be rescheduled. Pray that it is. I know mom you are worried, but I promise we will be ok if we go. The guy that takes us around Israel is amazing, their is rumor that is is part of the Isrealian mofia or something. haha. Please pray that we get to go and that God protects us cause I really want to visit Jerusalem, and swim in the dead sea, and visit the Jordan River where Jesus was baptized. I just got butterflies thinking about going there.

That is all! I am going to upload some more pictures! I love you!!!

7 comments:

ps said...

Danae Melirrytou - remember Danae. That is so awesome that they are where you are. Tell her mom that I worked in the office with Keith Nikolaus at Lipscomb. Jodi is friends with Danae on Facebook. She went to school at Pepperdine. I assume she is out of school and back in Greece. Do they go to church there all of the time? The building looked like Flores Magon, only nicer. I'm so thankful you are having a wonderful time. Soak up every minute of it. I love you!

pittypat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pittypat said...

ok that last comment is from mom! I'm using Mr. Sanders small computer and for some reason it automatically logs in as him. Sorry! I did not know how to delete it or change it.

Unknown said...

It sounds like your having an amazing time. I wish I could be there!! Keep taking advantage of the opportunities that come your way. I can't wait to hear more!

Love,
Travis

JodiPittard said...

That is AMAZING!! I would recognize her mom in an instant!! Also, that is really weird about the t shirt. i think i have had it since i was a sophomore, but never wore it cause it was too small. If you see Danae she will remember me. What a small small world. Have you bought anything yet? I got on skype this after noon at three thirty, but you must not have been able to get on. I tried the sykpe name that was on the facebook thread... but oh well. Today was martin luther king day, and of course the first time in my four years that we get it off at harding my student teaching school does not. I was so sad. I love you.

JodiPittard said...

That is AMAZING!! I would recognize her mom in an instant!! Also, that is really weird about the t shirt. i think i have had it since i was a sophomore, but never wore it cause it was too small. If you see Danae she will remember me. What a small small world. Have you bought anything yet? I got on skype this after noon at three thirty, but you must not have been able to get on. I tried the sykpe name that was on the facebook thread... but oh well. Today was martin luther king day, and of course the first time in my four years that we get it off at harding my student teaching school does not. I was so sad. I love you.

JodiPittard said...

whoops. did not mean to post twice. Oh well now this is three