Sunday, February 1, 2009

Looking towards a trip that will inevitably change my life forever.

OK sorry I have not updated in a while. Things have been busy here...I don't really know why, but. anyway.

I'll start with last night. The 31. Well, that day we had the guy come from the Aristotle Travel company come and talk to us about our trip to Israel/Egypt. His name is Alex and he is traveling with us. Our flight leaves at 1:30 in the morning on wednesday morning, but we have to be at the airport at 11 tuesday night. It is going to be a long day Wednesday when we get to Israel. We were told that the man that is picking us up in Israel is known all over Israel and is very respected. He is like one of the most respected men in Israel. I don't know how we found him, but luckily we did. There are already a few things that we get because of him. One the place where we are eating breakfast after our plane lands usually does not open till 8, but he got it to where it is opening at 6:30 for us. Two we got really really nice hotels for the same price as cheap ones!! I think these hotels are going to be awesome! Then he went over what we are doing everday on our trip. I almost started crying because I am in awe of the places I am going to be seeing with my own eyes. We are going to the Jordan River, Mt. Siani, Mt. Zion, Garden of Gethsemene, Golgatha, Dead Sea, Bethlehem. Basically ALL OF THE HOLY LAND. oh and we are taking a boat on the sea of Galilee. I hope that the kids here take it seriously, and realize the magnitude of this trip. I really think that my life is going to be changed. Please, Please, Please pray for our safety. tell everyone you know to pray for us. I would not even be against yall praying at antioch for us.

This trip blows my mind. I never ever in my wildest dreams thought I would be going to these places. The exact places where Jesus was. Glory be. This is something that most people will never get to do. If there was any reason to come to Greece it is for this trip! It is unbelievable all we are doing on this trip. There is not one day where we have anytime where we are not doing anything. It is insane. We get to see a light show on the Pryamids! What now stone mountain!!! haha! anyways! pray pray pray!

ok so that night me meghan Jane Seth and Justin went to Markopolo, which is the next biggest town before Athens. We went to get dinner because we weren't having dinner that night at the villa. We went to this Pizza shop. Leave it to the Americans to be the only people in the only Pizza shop in town. plus it said PIZZA really big on the front. haha. we felt like tourists. and not only that, but the owner spoke no english whatsoever. and we speak no greek, brilliant. So he called his wife who I guess walked over from their house. She spoke some English, basically the only words she knew were cheese, pepperoni, bacon, and one. So we got a cheese, pepperoni, and bacon pizzas. They were absolutely fantastic though. It was scrumptious! Oh and on the way up to the restaurant we saw a movie theater that was showing TWLIGHT! Which the whole group that I went with that night was the group that is reading The twlight series over here! It was so funny! We all freaked out! the showing was not till 9:30, and the last bus back to Porto Rafti was at 8:45. So we called Tim. and amazingly he said he would come pick us up! But it was only 7 at5 the time. So first we went into this cute little shop across the street! and I bought Jodi a gift for her new apartment with Andy!!! It is really pretty! Then we went to a cafe and all got something to drink, some coffee and sodas. We sat in there for like an hour. It was so nice, we sat on couches. Then after that we just walked around the city, and found this really cute old church and behind it was a nunnery. There was actually a nun in a room praying. Then she peaked out and looked at us, a little creepy. Then we just wasted time. Then we went back to the theater, and bought our twlight tickets. We went in the theater and it was relaly cute. There was only one in the place, and it was an actual stage with a screen and old timey seating. Then the movie started. Oh dear goodness. I was very dissapointed. It was such a low budget film. and the acting of the supporting actors was dreadful! The filming looked like it was an 1980's T.V. show. maybe worse. and the guy who plays Jacob, are you serious. It got better towards the end, but I am seriously hoping they bring in a few more million for the next one. The scenes in the high school were just bad. Bella and Edward did good though. I relaly liked Edward, except of the scene at the lab table where he first smells bella. Oh dear goodness, he looks absolutely ridiculous. He looks like he is going to vomit. It was stupidly silly. And I thought it took to long for Bella and Edwards intense chemistry that you feel in the book to build in the movie. But overall I am glad I got to see it in Greece. Oh and during intermission it was already 11, and we had told Tim that the movie would be over at 11 because that is what the woman said at the gate. So we called him and he was already here, so he came in and watched the rest of the movie with us. He was not a fan. lol. If only you guys knew Tim. Just imagine a man who grew up in California (the Johnsons) and then spent two years in turkey then 5 in Greece, then more in Turkey, then 14 years in Russia, and is now back in Greece. Can you say does not understand American Teenagers....lol.
But anwsy, on the way out of the movie, I was just walking along by Meghan and then all of a sudden I ran into something and went flying....and I heard this loud breaking sound. It was my sister's present. It is smashed Jodi. It is broken to pieces!! It was so great! I might go buy another one though. I was so sad.

moving on to today.

Today we went to Athens for church, then we walked to the National Archealogical Museum. It was very interesting, but we had a guide that we had to stay with the whole time and it was very hard to really appreciate the museum because there was 50 people all in one place trying to take pictures of the same thing. I hate big groups like that!!!! So frustrating. Most of the time I was on my own. We saw Agemenmnon's mask that he was buried in, which was amazing. Then after that there was a large group of us that was going to the Soccer game tonight! So we got to stay in Athens for 4 hours before the game.
So we walked all the way to the placa, and walked around some. I bought a dress that I talked the lady down from 39 euros to 17! It is really cute! and I bought some stuff for people.... lets see I think that is all...But then!!!!

We got to go the the 2004 Olympic Stadium for the soccer game. and can I just say no sporting event even begins to compare to a european soccer game. The stadium was packed. It was the number one team (the Olympicacos) against to the fourth team (A.E.K.) pronounces IKE. I do not even know how to desribe this. First there is chanting! I dont just mean like GO TEAM GO! I mean like songs that thousands of people are singing. and I think they are pretty bad songs. Second they throw smoke bombs the whole time, and flares! and they also had these granades that would go off. All harmless stuff but ridiculous! There were red flares that the crazy fans in this one huge seating area would hold up. Oh and there were no Olympiacos fans. ZERO! We were told by the Greeks that if you wore their colors you would get beaten up. It was A.E.K.'s home field. The game was good. A.E.K. lost but the score was 1 to 0. So they didn't get destroyed. The game was a night to remember. Alot of the time me and Mary Beth just would start yelling and throwing our hands up when the Greeks did, cause we had no idea what they were saying. The game was a blast, and it was awesome to be in that Stadium.

That is all though.
I met Dr. Hopper. Who is the man who runs all the international programs. He came to visit for a few days. He is such an awesome man. I truly think he is one of my favorite people. He talked one Sunday morning, and I loved what he said. I was able to go to dinner with him and three other students. We went to this really nice place on the sea. It was so nice and beautiful!! He was so much fun!

Life here is great. Something that Dr. Hopper talked about was his trip to India. He said he never before realized how much of a minority he was. He is a white, American, healthy, wealthy, Christian man. He said there was never a place that made him realize how small and how blessed he really was. That really made me stop and think about what a blessed life I lead. It brings me to tears even. I just think why me? Why was I so lucky to live this life? By chance? and if not by chance, what does that say to the kids who are born into the slums of Mumbi? If there is anything that makes me stumble in my faith it is that. The fact that there are Christians living in 3 million dollar houses, when 3 million children in Mumbi alone don't even have a house. How does that make sense? How do we allow this to happen? Jesus himself told us that we are capable of doing greater things than he has done. and yet all we American Christians are doing are sitting in our million dollar homes. I don't know the answer. I have no idea what as Christians we are called to do, but I think it is something besides just praying and giving money.

But anyway. In two days I leave to walk to same roads that The Son of God walked himself. It is humbling. It puts me at this place where it makes me think about how so many people have lived and died before me. It is overwhelming to think of the entire world. glory.

I love you all so very much! I can't wait to be back in the States with everyone, but I am enjoying myself so very much here! Pray for our safety!

No comments: